It’s no secret. I love technology. In our small business, we rely on technology to extend our capabilities and provide an agile response to customer needs. That helps us remain competitive. But the more I learn about technology, I realize there’s still a lot to learn.
On some level, technology reminds me of the reason I entered the human resources profession. It’s always changing and evolving. It’s always getting better. Since technology is moving at such a rapid pace, it can be a challenge to keep up with all the terms and acronyms. That’s one of the reasons I started this “Everything HR Needs to Know … “ series on HR Bartender. These articles are designed to help us quickly understand the technology and its business implications.
I also realize that I’ve done quite a few of these articles. If you haven’t checked them out lately, here’s a list of the top 12 technology concepts you should probably know.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) – It’s become a part of today’s HR world. But what is Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how can it benefit us? Experts help us understand how to use it.
- Blockchain – Like a lot of technology, blockchain has strong benefits if used properly. Learn more about why HR needs to pay attention to this new technology.
- Chatbots – It should be no surprise that bots are becoming a part of HR. They’re being used in recruiting, onboarding, and employee engagement.
- Cloud Computing – The cloud (aka cloud computing) is permeating almost every aspect of HR technology. We asked our friends at Kronos to tell us everything we need to know.
- Digital Transformation – Digital transformation is all about changing the workplace. Paycom shows us HR needs to embrace the strategic advantages technology brings.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) – Brian Sommer from TechVentive shares with us what an ERP is and how it compares to a human resource management system (HRMS).
- Experience Management (XM) – Our friends at Qualtrics XM shows how experience management (XM) uses experience and operational data to measure and improve business initiatives.
- Human Capital Management (HCM) – Bill Kutik, Human Resource Executive technology columnist, shares everything HR needs to know about the growing – and pretty confusing – field of human capital management.
- Internet of Things (IoT) – The latest technology term for HR pros is the Internet of Things – or IoT. It’s all about connectivity but it’s much more than that.
- Machine Learning – Machine learning is quickly becoming an important data tool for HR professionals. But, what is it and how does it differ from artificial intelligence (AI)?
- Prescriptive Analytics – Technology can help HR be more effective. One example is prescriptive analytics. O.C. Tanner shows us how prescriptive analytics works for HR.
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) – SaaS – software as a service – is a term we’ve all heard before. But what is it exactly? The experts at HR Direct tell everything to know about SaaS.
- User Experience (UX) – HR pros don’t need to build software, but they do need to know about the software user experience (UX). Ultimate Software’s Martin Hartshorne tells us everything HR needs to know.
Human resources technologies have the ability to make our departments run more effectively and efficiently. We can use our time building relationships and finding the best talent for the organization.
Speaking of using HR Technology to benefit the business, it’s not too late to attend the 2019 HR Technology Conference and Expo, which will be held October 1 – 4, 2019 in Las Vegas. You can save $300 off registration with the promotion code HRBAR19. This event is on my “must” attend list. I always leave with a long list of takeaways. Hopefully you can join us.
Image captured by Sharlyn Lauby while exploring the Wynwood District in Miami, FL21