I’ve never spoken to an HR professional who had a lot of spare time on their hands. There’s always a new piece of legislation to research or project to implement. Finding time to gain some new insights can often get pushed down on the priority list.
I believe that’s why conferences are so important. It allows someone to take a couple of days and totally immerse themselves into learning. But we can’t always get away for conferences – sometimes the budget doesn’t allow. So, we have to find ways to turn learning into a daily habit.
I’m so grateful for the people who read HR Bartender. You take time out of your already busy schedule to read, share, and comment. Another way to grab a daily dose of learning is via podcasts.
I had the opportunity to work with our friends at Ultimate Software on a podcast mini-series. Eight episodes totally focused on helping HR professionals thrive in their careers and the HCM cloud. Each episode is roughly 20 minutes, so it’s perfect for a morning or afternoon commute.
- The Impact of Culture on the Business: Chief People Officer for Ultimate Software Viv Maza and SHRM Board Member Steve Browne kick off the series with a discussion on how company culture impacts business health and success.
- Helping Managers Become Better Leaders: Managers and leaders are the ultimate key to increasing employee retention. Learn from Pat Pickren, senior director of product strategy at Ultimate Software, and Jennifer McClure, founder of Unbridled Talent, proven ways to use HCM technology in your development programs.
- Creating a People-First User Experience: This was a super interesting show! Hear how technology design impacts people in the workplace from a UX manager and lead ethnographer, whose roles are to design industry-leading HR technology.
- Compliance and Benefits: Taking Care of Employees with Technology: I sat down with Maria Luther, director of compliance at Ultimate Software to discuss how benefits and compliance technology play a role in employee engagement.
- The Impact of the Candidate Experience: Organizations can create, maintain, and measure a positive candidate experience to improve employee retention. Join Sarah Brennan, principal advisor of Accelir, and Martin Hartshorne, vice president of products for Ultimate Software for this valuable conversation.
- The Impact of the Onboarding Experience: Ryan Bergstrom, senior director of products at Ultimate Software, and Robin Schooling, vice president of HR at Hollywood Casino Baton Rouge share some best practices for sourcing, selecting, and welcoming people into your organization.
- Improving the Employee Experience at Work: Laura Lee Gentry, vice president of talent at Ultimate Software, and Mike VanDervort, executive director at CUE, Inc., discuss how organizations can create, implement, and communicate change within organizations to support technological and talent advances.
- Effectively Implementing Change within an Organization: Managers and leaders must be able to determine whether employees are engaged before they can impact the work environment. Cecile Leroux, vice president of innovation at Ultimate Software, and Janine Truitt, chief innovations officer at Talent Think Innovations, discuss how goal setting and feedback can lead to increased engagement.
I hope you enjoy the series as much as I enjoyed recording it. For those of you with an iTunes account, you can download the series there. Cheers!1