Ask HR Bartender: The Right Address For Your Resume

by Sharlyn Lauby on May 9, 2011

A reader sent me this question related to a very common issue:

I just read the article 22 Secrets HR Won’t Tell You About Getting a Job on Yahoo! and I’d like to know your thoughts about finding a job in another state. I currently live in Chicago and am looking for work in South Florida.

When sending my cover letter / resume, I go back and forth between including my current address or my future address.  Sometimes, I’m reluctant to put down my current address because HR managers might be hesitant to hire or even interviewing out of state candidates.  But I don’t want to be perceived as misleading by putting my future address while I’m still currently employed in another city.

First of all, thank you so much for checking out the “22 Secrets” piece.  It was a fun interview!

I know trying to figure out what address to put on a resume can be tough – where you are right now or the city you’re moving to.  Keep in mind how you would reply if you got a call from a recruiter for an interview.  It would be difficult to tell a company they have to wait a couple weeks for you to book a flight and come down to Florida.

Any other advice you can give this reader?  What address would you list on your resume if you were moving?

{ 1 trackback }

{ 9 comments }

Carolyn May 9, 2011 at 10:30 am

I recently used “Currently Relocating to Denver Area” to indicate that I had already started the process and was not expecting the company to pick up the tab.

Sharlyn Lauby May 9, 2011 at 10:58 am

Thanks for the comment! I’ve never seen it presented that way, but it answers any questions. And it reads very professional.

Kim N Carswell May 10, 2011 at 6:50 am

I would list both. One as current and the other as local. Keep in mind the contact phone number is a more accurate give away if you’re in transition. I advise my clients to include anticipated relocation date in cover letter and whether they will cover moving costs.

Sharlyn Lauby May 10, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I love your comment about moving costs. Recruiters would definitely want to know this information! Thanks for sharing.

Sharlyn Lauby May 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I received a comment via email and wanted to share: consider putting both addresses on the resume. Maybe positioned next to each other. It can demonstrate the potential for both residences.

Thanks for sharing Barbara!

Rick Rossignol May 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm

In today’s world why would you include your address on the resume. The top of the resume is name and e-mail, and phone number. If they have a interest in your background for the position they are going to call or e-mail. I would bring up the move at that time. You want the company to view you based on your talents not if you live close enough… If you give me the address and we are not open to relocation in the first sort you will be in the reject pile.

Frances Gomillion May 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I agree that having your address on the resume is not necessary; however, city and stat should be indicated and it should include the location you are moving to. Reason being, if you are qualified for the position you want to receive a response from the recruiter or hiring manager and you can explain your moving situation at that time.

If a candidate is in transition than it should be stated in either the cover letter and/or objective. A recruiter or hiring manager generally has a lot of resumes to review, so if the location or anything else provided in the resume is questionable then the person reviewing the resume is going to move to the next qualified applicant.

Michelle November 14, 2012 at 12:13 am

Thank you for posting this information. I am currently in Florida looking to move to North Carolina. I already turned in one application with my future address on it. I now know that placing my current address will allow the future HR department/hiring personnel to know that I am not in-state. This clarification was a relief to read. Thank you for the help!

Sharlyn Lauby November 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm

You’re most welcome Michelle! Good luck with your move to North Carolina. It’s a beautiful state.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: