If you were not aware, today (September 16) is National Guacamole Day. It’s estimated that approx. 50% of Americans trade at least one meal a week for grab-and-go eating. So the avocado industry wants us to know that guacamole is a tasty little snack loaded with nutrition.
And, if that doesn’t convince you, here are some more reasons to Eat More Guac – with thanks to WhollyGuac.com:
- Avocados are packed with more than 20 vitamins, minerals and 60 percent more potassium than bananas.
- Originally reserved only for the wealthy and kings, guacamole was invented by the Aztecs as a nutritious snack.
- The “good fats” in avocados effectively reduce cholesterol levels. Three tablespoons of all-natural guacamole with a handful of carrots has 94 calories – that’s less than a cup of low-fat milk!
- Researchers at Ohio State University’s Comprehensive Cancer Center say that avocados have cancer fighting power against oral, prostate and possibly other types of cancer.
- Guacamole is so popular that it has not one…but two food holidays. Spicy Guacamole Day is celebrated on November 14!
So instead of grabbing those Cheetos, dip into some good-for-you guacamole. Cheers!0